India Report on Digital Education - Key Points
Union Minister for HRD (now Education Minister) Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ introduced India Report on Digital Education, 2020.
Here are the key points about the report.
1. The report talks about various innovative methods adopted by the Ministry and Education Departments of States and Union Territories to ensure inclusive and accessible education to children at home. The report largely focuses on reducing learning gaps during the Covid-19 pandemic.
2. Ministry of Education has launched many projects to help and guide teachers, scholars and students in their pursuit of learning. Some of the projects are:
- DIKSHA platform,
- Swayam Prabha TV Channel,
- Online MOOC courses, such as:
- On Air – Shiksha Vani,
- DAISY by NIOS for differently-abled, e-PathShala,
- National Repository of Open Educational Resources (NROER) to develop digital content and telecast through TV channels, webinars, and E-learning portals in coordination with other digital initiatives run by State/ UT Governments.
3. One of the important and critical task is to provide digital education at the door steps of the students. It also includes mass media as well as connecting through social media tools like WhatsApp Group etc. Online classes through YouTube channel, Google meet, Skype etc., E-learning portals, TV (Doordarshan & regional TV channels), Radio (AIR), use of Diksha are other prominent choices.
4. In this regard major initiative run by State and UT governments are:
- SMILE (Social Media Interface for Learning Engagement) in Rajasthan,
- Project Home Classes in Jammu,
- Padhai Tunhar duvaar (Education at your doorstep) in Chhattisgarh,
- Unnayan Initiatives in Bihar through portal and mobile application,
- Mission Buniyaad in NCT of Delhi,
- Kerala has its own educational TV channel (Hi-Tech school programme),
- Digital portal and free online courses for teachers in Meghalaya.
- Telangana conducts online certificate programs for teachers on ‘Management of mental well-being during COVID’.
5. Digital education initiatives provides enhanced support for students preparing for competitive exams.
Goa has partnered with Embibe, an Artificial Intelligence (AI)-powered online platform for learning and practicing for those students who are preparing for various entrance exams.