Interesting Facts About Science - 001
• The dinosaurs became extinct before the Rockies or the Alps were formed.
• Female black widow spiders eat their males after mating.
• When a flea jumps, the rate of acceleration is 20 times that of the space shuttle during launch.
• The earliest wine makers lived in Egypt around 2300 BC.
• If our Sun were just an inch in diameter, the nearest star would be 445 miles away.
• The Australian billy goat plum contains 100 times more vitamin C than an orange.
• Astronauts cannot belch - there is no gravity to separate liquid from gas in their stomachs.
• The air at the summit of Mount Everest, 29,029 feet is only a third as thick as the air at sea level.
• One million, million, million, million, a millionth of a second after the Big Bang the Universe was the size of a ...pea.
• DNA was first discovered in 1869 by Swiss Friedrich Mischler.
• The molecular structure of DNA was first determined by Watson and Crick in 1953.
• The thermometer was invented in 1607 by Galileo.
• Englishman Roger Bacon invented the magnifying glass in 1250.